With summer upon us heirloom tomatoes are coming into season. This means salads, salads, and more deLISH summer salads including this favorite of mine that I love, Red Quinoa Tabouli. It’s the perfect combo of veggies and complex carbs. Pair this with a piece of your favorite grilled skinless protein and you’ve made yourself a fast and healthy summer meal.
3 cups water
2 cups red quinoa
1 cup parsley leaves, finely chopped
½ cup red onion or scallions, finely chopped
2 medium size fresh tomatoes, diced
2 medium size Persian cucumbers, diced
3 T. best quality olive oil
3 T. fresh squeezed lemon juice, or to taste
2 tsp. sea salt
½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1. Combine quinoa and water together in a medium size pot. Season with ½ tsp. salt. Bring to rolling boil and then cover with a lid. Reduce heat to simmer for ~20 minutes until all water has disappeared. Remove from stove and let cool for 15 minutes.
2. Add the chopped herbs and vegetables and toss in a large plastic storage container.
3. Combine olive oil, lemon juice and salt in a separate small bowl. Whisk together until dressing mixture is well emulsified.
4. Add cooled quinoa to chopped herb and vegetables. Gently mix together with large spoon.
5. Drizzle salad dressing mixture over herb, vegetable and quinoa. Gently mix together with large spoon. Store in refrigerator for up to five days.
Makes about 10 to 12 servings. Suggested serving size: ¾ cups